Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mini Of San Diego, San Diego, CA


Update 4/30/2012: Today, I had to change it to 5 stars. They really do go out of their way to make a lot of Mini owners happy.  


 * * * * *  

* * * * (4 of 5 Stars) Reviewed on Yelp.com on 4/18/2012

First of all, my husband and I each have an 07 Mini Cooper.
Secondly, this review is related to service/repairs only.
They are expensive to repair wherever you go unless you "have a guy you trust."  So, do get the extended warranty and the extended maintenance plans. They are worth it. My guy is Aaron and his team. We didn't buy our Minis there (cause we got them in Santa Ana (Crevier) in 07. So, this really is only based on the year and half + of service we've had.
So, the dealership itself is always nice and clean. They offer a shuttle service and they will try to get you a loaner if you need it. They will test drive the cars they repair and they use geniune Mini parts. It is a Penske dealership - the first Mini has allowed and perhaps this is what makes them strive harder to do the best they can.
Aaron puts up well with my insufficient knowledge of cars. We've had so many numerous jobs done their with both of cars - the most recent was last week when I took my husband's Mini in for what I thought would be to replace the rear shocks. The car squeaked and made a lot of noise going over EVERY bump. Aaron told me that all it was that the heat shield was bent and the rear sway bar (which is a thicker, non-Mini stock sway bar installed 4 years ago) needed lubricating. And that fixed it! I couldn't believe it! So, I know I can trust Aaron and really that is what a good dealership needs - honest service advisors that won't get you to replace parts that are working just so they can make more money. Besides, they are so busy that I don't think they'd waste their time.
I want to give five stars - they are so darn close to it, but there was just one incident in October of 2011 when a repairman who had given his quit notice had mentally checked out had not noticed problems with our car (slight accident with a moving small boulder on the road during a  bad rainstorm and rock slide) that the insurance person has noticed. It was such a mess that my husband's Mini was there for about four weeks. We had a loaner, fortunately, and it stayed with us for so long that we gave it two nicknames (Pumpkin and Tangerine, it was an 2011 Countryman - just like the last shuttle I was in). But I want to make this clear, my insurance company was dragging their feet  - so many delays - they messed up the coverage initially as well.
Fortunately, I don't have to check the oil cap to make sure it is on after an oil change. Yes, I've done that once before I got onto the freeway.
I can't imagine having to drive up to Santa Ana (140 miles round trip) again (did  for 3 years) to have our Minis repaired because we both love our Minis. I'm keeping mine forever or until I can't get it insured in California.
I happily can recommend Mini of San Diego. I'm so glad they are here.
Would I buy from them? Honestly, It depends on which of the two dealers offer the better deal. It would be between Crevier (if Dana Eastman is still there) and Mini of SD. Most likely, that won't happen for another 10 years (sorry, hon) and it would be a custom order anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment